Inclusive Development International is seeking dynamic and experienced candidates for the role of Africa Program Director to advance our growing corporate accountability work on the African continent.
In collaboration with an international team, the Africa Program Director manages the casework and capacity development activities of Inclusive Development International in the Africa region. Working alongside African civil society partners, the Program Director leads our work supporting communities threatened or harmed by investment projects in Africa to advocate for their rights with a range of actors, including government authorities, corporations, financiers, investors, and consumer brands.
The position is ideally based in Dakar, Senegal, however we would consider another regional hub in West Africa (preferred), or another African or European location for exceptional candidates.
The position requires regular travel in the region.
- Support community partners to develop and implement holistic advocacy strategies to defend their rights, including by accessing judicial or non-judicial grievance redress processes and accompanying them through these processes.
- Engage companies and other investment and supply chain actors on specific cases.
- Work alongside local partners to collect evidence of human rights and environmental impacts of harmful investments in focus countries.
- Raise awareness about IDI’s Follow the Money initiative to advocates across the region and effectively communicate the results of our investment chain mapping and analysis of harmful projects, including new opportunities for advocacy, to groups that have requested our support.
- Conduct training workshops and provide ongoing mentoring support to develop the capabilities of local civil society partners to support communities to defend their rights and hold corporations, financial institutions and governments accountable for violations.
- Feed lessons learned from casework into our policy research and campaigns to strengthen the human rights and environmental regulation and compliance of corporate and financial actors operating in Africa.
- Network and develop strong collaborative relationships with grassroots advocates, public interest lawyers, social movements, international and national NGOs, and members of the academic community working to protect and promote land, housing and natural resource rights in sub-Saharan Africa.
- Represent Inclusive Development International in regional meetings, conferences and other events.
- Supervise a growing team of staff and consultants to advance our goals in the region.
Qualifications and Attributes
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications and attributes:
• An advanced degree in law or a related field.
• At least five years work experience in the field of human rights, environmental justice and/or corporate accountability.
• Excellent communication, advocacy, and negotiation skills.
• Experience working with communities affected by harmful investment projects and facilitating community-led strategy development and decision-making.
• Excellent interpersonal skills and comfortable both engaging respectfully with local communities and advocating with large corporations and financial institutions to represent community interests.
• From the region or substantial experience working in West or Central Africa.
• Able to travel frequently to remote locations in the region.
• Fluency in English and French, with excellent writing skills in both languages
Compensation and Benefits
Inclusive Development International offers competitive compensation and benefits packages commensurate with experience. The starting salary range for this position is $41,000 – $60,000 per year.
To apply, please send a CV and expression of interest (maximum 3 pages) demonstrating your suitability for this position and elaborating on your past experience conducting similar tasks to [email protected]
Applications will be accepted until August 30, 2019
Should your application be short-listed, we will be in touch to schedule an interview with you and may request further written materials.
Start date: September 15, 2019 or as soon as possible thereafter.
Inclusive Development International is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or other prohibited category. We are committed to diversity on our team and strongly encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.