Inclusive Development International (IDI) is seeking dynamic and experienced candidates for the role of Senior Researcher. The Senior Researcher will be an integral part of IDI’s Follow the Money initiative, our innovative approach to defending human rights and the environment in the face of harmful investment projects.
As part of IDI’s research team, the Senior Researcher will conduct investment and supply chain investigations of projects in the mining, agriculture and power sectors that threaten the rights of communities in Southeast Asia, Sub-Saharan Africa and beyond. Using specialized tools and information sources, the Senior Researcher will uncover and map the investors, financiers and buyers behind these projects – and analyze how affected communities can use this information to better defend their rights. The Senior Researcher will also conduct research on a range of other topics to support IDI’s casework and policy advocacy.
Remote with occasional travel to IDI’s head office (Asheville, NC) or international locations.
- Investigate and analyze the investment chains behind harmful projects.
- Work with IDI’s experienced advocates and write reports that synthesize investment chain findings to inform advocacy strategies for affected communities.
- On occasion, travel to affected areas to present findings to local partners.
- Stay abreast of the latest developments in global finance and supply chains, with a focus on human rights and environmental sustainability.
- Develop new tools and approaches – including those used in big data and investigative journalism – to strengthen our evolving Follow the Money research methodology.
- Conduct research to support Inclusive Development International policy campaigns, which seek to strengthen human rights accountability in development finance, mineral supply chains and socially responsible investing.
Qualifications and Attributes
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications and attributes:
- At least three years of experience in investigative/financial journalism, big data/machine learning, or other research field.
- A graduate degree in journalism, finance, data science or a research-related field.
- Tenacious, diligent researcher who is willing to uncover every stone in pursuit of information that can change lives.
- Strong writer who is able to communicate complex topics in a clear and accessible manner.
- Financial literacy, coding experience, or track record of breaking investigative stories. Special consideration will be given to applicants with coding experience.
- Experience working on issues related to human rights and the environment in the global economy.
- A passion for advancing corporate accountability and social, economic and environmental justice.
- Comfortable working in a global organization that works in multiple countries and cultures.
- Highly motivated and intellectually curious, with a close attention to detail and a good sense of humor.
- Special consideration will be given to applicants with training experience and/or experience facilitating workshops.
Compensation and Benefits
Inclusive Development International offers a competitive compensation and benefits package, including a generous 401k plan, health and life insurance. Salary will be commensurate with experience.
To apply, please send a CV and expression of interest demonstrating your suitability for this position and elaborating on your past experience conducting similar responsibilities to [email protected].
Applications will be accepted on an ongoing basis.
Inclusive Development International values diversity on our team. We strongly encourage people of color, Indigenous Peoples, LGBTQ individuals, people with disabilities, and all qualified persons to apply for our open positions.