Inclusive Development International (IDI) is seeking a dynamic and experienced advocate for the role of Legal Coordinator to support our expanding work in Southeast Asia.
The Southeast Asia Legal Coordinator will work with IDI’s case advocacy team and local partners in Southeast Asia to support communities harmed by investment projects in the mining, energy, industrial and agribusiness sectors. The Legal Coordinator will use IDI’s training resources to build the capacity of community partners to defend their rights, including by engaging effectively in judicial and non-judicial grievance redress processes. The Legal Coordinator will support local partners and communities to advocate for effective remedies with a range of actors, including government agencies, corporations, financiers, and investors, as appropriate.
The position will ideally be based in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, however IDI would consider remote location in mainland Southeast Asia.
- Work alongside local partners to conduct research on human rights and environmental impacts and compliance of harmful investments in Southeast Asia.
- Effectively communicate the results of IDI’s investment chain mapping and analysis of harmful projects, including new opportunities for advocacy, to local groups that request support from IDI’s Follow the Money initiative.
- Support community partners to develop and implement holistic strategies, access and effectively engage in judicial and non-judicial remedial processes and conduct complementary advocacy activities.
- Conduct training workshops and provide ongoing mentoring support to develop the capabilities of local partners to support communities to defend their rights in the face of harmful investment projects and hold responsible actors accountable.
- Feed lessons learned from casework into IDI’s policy research and campaigns to strengthen the human rights and environmental regulation and compliance of corporate and financial actors operating in Southeast Asia.
- Network and develop strong collaborative relationships with grassroots advocates, public interest lawyers, social movements, international and national NGOs, and members of the academic community working to protect and promote land, housing and natural resource rights in the Southeast Asia region.
- Represent IDI in regional meetings, conferences and other events.
- The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- An advanced degree in law or a related field.
- At least five years work experience in the field of human rights, environmental justice and/or corporate accountability.
- Strong communication, advocacy, and negotiation skills.
- Experience working with communities affected by harmful investment projects, and especially explaining complex information in an accessible manner and facilitating community-led strategy development and decision-making.
- Excellent interpersonal skills and comfortable both engaging with local communities and advocating/engaging with large corporations and financial institutions to represent community interests.
- From the region or substantial experience working in Southeast Asia.
- Able to regularly travel in the region.
- Excellent English verbal and writing skills.
- Proficiency in a Southeast Asian language will be an added advantage.
To apply, please complete send a CV and expression of interest (maximum 3 pages) demonstrating your suitability for this position and elaborating on your past experience conducting similar tasks to [email protected].
Applications will be accepted until May 4, 2018.
Should your application be short-listed, we will be in touch to schedule an interview with you and may request further written materials.
Start date: 1 June 2018, or as soon as possible thereafter.
Inclusive Development International is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or other prohibited category. We are committed to diversity on our team and strongly encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.