Inclusive Development International (IDI) is seeking a dynamic and experienced advocate for the role of Program Associate to support our expanding work in Southeast Asia.
The Program Associate will work with IDI’s case advocacy team and local partners in Southeast Asia to support communities harmed by investment projects in the mining, energy and agribusiness sectors to advocate for effective remedies with a range of actors, including government agencies, corporations and development finance institutions. The Program Associate will primarily support IDI’s Southeast Asia Legal Coordinator to advance casework, training and workshop events, and field research, as necessary. The Program Associate will also work with other members of IDI’s international team, including providing support to IDI’s China Global Program Advisor.
The position will ideally be based in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, however IDI would consider remote location in mainland Southeast Asia.
- Work alongside IDI’s Southeast Asia team and local partners to conduct research on human rights and environmental impacts and compliance of harmful investments in the region.
- Support the team in effectively communicating the results of IDI’s investment chain mapping and analysis of harmful projects, including new opportunities for advocacy, to local groups that request support from IDI’s Follow the Money initiative.
- Work with IDI’s Southeast Asia team to support community partners to develop and implement corporate accountability strategies, access and effectively engage in judicial and non-judicial remedial processes and conduct complementary advocacy activities.
- Provide assistance to the team in conducting civil society and community workshops aimed at developing participants’ knowledge and skills to defend community rights in the face of harmful investment projects and hold responsible actors accountable.
- Foster and develop IDI relationships with local partners, public interest lawyers, social movements, international and national NGOs, and members of the academic community working to protect and promote land, natural resource, and environmental rights in the Southeast Asia region.
The ideal candidate will have the following qualifications:
- At least three years work experience in the field of human rights, environmental justice and/or corporate accountability.
- Experience working respectfully with local communities, especially those affected by harmful investment projects.
- Field research experience and skills (experience conducting social, environmental or human rights impact assessments is highly desired).
- Excellent English language verbal and written communication skills.
- From the region or substantial experience working in one or more countries in Southeast Asia, especially Mekong countries, Indonesia and the Philippines.
- Proficiency in at least one Southeast Asian language.
- Comfortable working with a diverse international team.
- A degree in law or a relevant political or social science.
Candidates must be willing to travel regularly in the region, including to remote locations.
Compensation and Benefits
Inclusive Development International offers competitive compensation and benefits packages commensurate with experience.
To apply, please send a CV and expression of interest (maximum 3 pages) demonstrating your suitability for this position and elaborating on your past experience conducting similar responsibilities to [email protected].
Applications will be accepted until February 28, 2019.
Should your application be short-listed, we will be in touch to schedule an interview with you and may request further written materials.
Start date: May 1, 2019
Inclusive Development International is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, gender, nationality, ethnicity, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression or other prohibited category.
We are committed to diversity on our team and strongly encourage qualified candidates from all backgrounds to apply.